This is a unique volunteer opportunity geared to help students gain valuable volunteer hours as well as observation hours to apply to Physical and Occupational Therapy programs. The commitment is for three months and multiple locations are available.
The volunteer will assist therapists and therapy aides as directed by staff in the various gym settings, enhancing the overall individual attention to patients, families, and visitors. The volunteer will gain exposure to therapy treatments, allowing for a greater personal understanding of the field of rehabilitative therapy. Through interaction with staff, patients, families, and guests the volunteer will develop an appreciation of the interrelationships of members of the rehabilitation patient’s team.
- Greet internal and external customers and be available for customer service.
- Inspect the cleanliness of the facility and disinfecting gym equipment as needed.
- Restock supplies in gym as needed (sanitizer/towels, etc.).
- Assist in preparing or obtaining materials/equipment for therapy sessions.
- Routinely communicate with staff and patients to determine needs.
- Work with therapy staff, in one on one or group settings to assist with rehabilitation equipment during sessions.
- Able to commit to a minimum of one 2-4 hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months
- Able to be professional and courteous at all times
- Able to appropriately interact with people from different age groups and ability levels as well as participate with them on activities
- Able to perform light clerical work on computer and copy machine
- Able to work independently
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Flexible and able to adapt to changing environments
- Respectful of diverse lifestyles, cultures, religions and values
- Consistently adheres to institution dress code policy
May be required to use any of the following: Phone, copier, printer, or computer.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
- Independent mobility throughout facility
- Work provided in office and hospital setting.
Supervision provided by Volunteer Manager, Therapists and nursing staff.
HIPAA: all volunteers must comply with HIPAA Regulations and company confidentiality policies and procedures. This requires that all patient health and personal information, direct or indirect, must be treated with the strictest confidence. Any unauthorized access, modification, disclosure or casual discussion of such information shall be considered a violation of this policy and shall be the grounds for dismissal.